Whenever the word “barbecue” is mentioned, it seems to be an event that might make it difficult to invite a vegan friend to, but barbecue vegetable recipes are easy to make and there are so many options, that in the end you may find yourself gravitating towards the plant-based grilled delicacies.
There are so many things you can do with vegetables, so much more than just boiling them for a side dish or chopping them up for a salad. Charcoaling, frying, roasting, grilling, it all adds incredible flavor to veggies.
Cauliflower is great for roasting and grilling. It is so versatile that it transforms itself into some tasty barbecued slabs of veggie meat; and this is just one example.
Grilled vegetables (which could be anything of your choosing: broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, spring onions, Bell peppers, etc) taste awesome and are easy to make. You could make veggie kebabs, burgers, sausages, grilled potatoes, grilled corn, eggplant, and buffalo cauliflower (told you, that cauliflower can work some magic 😉 ).
Recipes are coming up!
- Cut the cauliflower into thick slices (about 1.5 – 2 cm)
- Grill them until they are nicely charred. A charcoal grill will infuse a mouthwatering, smoky flavor into your cauliflower.
- When the cauliflower is done, you can top it with vegan BBQ sauce.
- Slice your choice of mixed vegetables and skewer them
- Add your favorite herbs and spices. I love to use paprika or curry and black pepper.
- Throw them on the grill and wait until they are ready.
You can enjoy these kebabs with a nice sauce or on their own.
Smoky Grilled Eggplant
Eggplant is such a yummy vegetable with a soft texture, and preparing this on the grill brings out irresistible flavors.
- Slice eggplant into slabs.
- Sprinkle some salt on them and leave to “sweat” for five minutes.
- When you see some droplets on the eggplant slices, wipe them off with a clean cloth or paper napkin. That was the “sweat” which released the bitter flavor.
- Now, rub them down with olive oil.
- Add spices and herbs of your choice. Why not throw a dash of cayenne pepper on them or some chipotle chili? That will add a nice, hot flavor.
- Leave them on the grill until they are nicely done.
This meal takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, and trust me, those smoky grilled eggplants taste absolutely wonderful!
Homemade Vegan Sausages
This recipe is really easy, and it doesn’t take long to prepare. I shared that recipe a while ago and it is my favorite homemade sausage recipe.
After you have made your sausages, throw them on the barbecue and roast them until they are ready.
Ready to Grill?
These four recipes make a nice addition to your barbecue, an event that friends and family will love to come back to. Who said that vegan BBQ’s were boring? Nope, not with those recipes.
On top of that, you can also add some tasty tomato salads, grilled potatoes, grilled corn, roasted spring onions (amazing flavor), roasted shallots; and Mexican salsa and guacamole are always a yummy favorite, … There is plenty to choose from.
Nowadays, we are urged to eat healthier as well, with everything that is going on. Barbecues are not the healthiest way to eat, but they are a great way to socialize and they are always a lot of fun.
Healthy food has had that awful tag of “boring and tasteless” for decades now, and it is high time that we cut that tag off and throw it away, because healthy is far from boring, as we can see in many recipes here :-).
Perhaps soon you’ll get that grill out again; the weather is warming up nicely. 😉