Protein bars didn’t use to taste to good. Years ago, I found many of them bland and I wasn’t inclined to buy them. Now, however, there are so many different flavors. Many of them just melt in your mouth. Whatever they lacked in taste a long time ago, they now made up for that. I would like to share here some of the best vegan protein bars I have tried.
Before we begin, I would like to tackle the myth that protein is animal based. Why is it considered a myth when it is bombarded to us by the media, more specifically in ads?
The meat protein myth is sold by the meat industry, for obvious reasons 🙂 In truth, it isn’t hard to get plant-based protein, but the meat industry is not eager to let you find that out. Most vegetables and legumes already offer this much valued element in our diet. If you would like to find out more about vegan protein sources, feel free to check out the following blog post. And if you have any questions, please let me know 🙂
Right now, I have a few stacked in my pantry. Let me list some great ones here.
- No Cow Protein Bar : peanut butter chocolate chip, gluten free, dairy free, keto friendly, low car, low sugar, high fiber, non-GMO
- ALOHA Organic Protein Bar : vegan, gluten free, paleo, non-dairy, soy free, lactose free, non-GMO, and kosher
- Raw Rev Glo Protein Bar: vegan and gluten free
- Vegan Cookie Dough Protein Bar: gluten free, plant-based. low sugar, non-dairy, lactose free. kosher, and non-GMO
- Amrita Protein BarsThis brand has many different flavors, such as chocolate maca, dark chocolate quinoa, sunflower butter and jelly, and pineapple chia. Amrita are also plant-based and the sunflower and jelly and oineapple chia flavors are allergy free.
- LOLA Probiotic Bar comes in blueberry almond flavor. It’s free from gluten, soy, and dairy; it’s vegan and it contains tree nuts
- One Plant Protein Bars, Banana Nut Bread: yes, I’m leaving the best for last. Remember what banana bread smells like when it comes fresh out of the oven? Now you can get it fresh out of your purse, enjoy the delicious flavor guilty free.
Benefits of Protein Bars
These bars contain healthy fats, antioxidants, E and B vitamins (and others), and phytochemicals. In general, they are packed with nutrients, which are only beneficial for your health.
What Should You Pay Attention to?
Many vegan protein bars have a worry-free ingredient list. Nonetheless, there are some that may contain the following items, which you should pay attention to if you have certain allergies or you want to watch your sugar intake.
- Nuts and seeds (which are great for many reasons, but not so good if you have a nut allergy)
- Sugar alcohols (like sorbitol, xylitol, and mannitol)
- High fructose corn syrup
- Carrageenan (a seaweed derivative which is used as an emulsifier. It has been known to cause intestinal irritation in some people)
Protein bars are a nice, healthy snack in between. I try to avoid the ones that have sugar alcohols and high fructose corn syrup. They are useful to take to work or school, and even now that we’re staying home they are a nice, healthy snack in between.