Cauliflower is the flower of veggies, or perhaps it can be called a healthier rice (it’s made of a vegetable after all 😉 ). Compared to boiling rice, which takes around 20 minutes, making cauliflower rice actually takes less time. I usually don’t eat much rice, unless it’s jasmine or basmati rice, so cauliflower rice seems like a nice variation. By the way, this recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
Ingredients are few. You just need a cauliflower. A good food processor is also useful but not essential.
So, how do you make this? Let’s start, shall we?
What Do You Need?
- One large head cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Seasoning as desired (soy sauce, or salt and pepper, curry, etc)
How Do You Make It?
- First wash the cauliflower
- Remove all greens and dry cauliflower
- For this step you can use either a box grater or a food processor. If you use a box grater, then cut the cauliflower into large chunks and start grating. This may get a little messy, but it works well. If you prefer a food processor, chop the cauliflower into smaller pieces and grind them in the food processor. Both methods will yield tiny rice pieces.
- Transfer the small rice chunks to a paper towel to drain any excess moisture.
- Now, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and sauté the cauliflower rice. Season al gusto. I like to use soy sauce for that, but it can be anything you prefer; salt and pepper, curry, tamarind sauce, etc.
- Cover with a lid to make the rice steam more, and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or store in refrigerator for later on 😉
I made three variations, as you can see in the below picture.
On the left: cauliflower rice cooked with garlic and onion powder / Middle bowl: with curry and black pepper (black pepper enhances curcuma, a healthy ingredient of curry) / Right bowl: with soy sauce (I love rice and soy sauce!)
This is a nice side dish or it can also be used for a full meal as part of a curry or stir fry. I hope you like this recipe. There are many things you can do with cauliflower, and I will be happy to share more cauliflower recipes in upcoming posts. If you’d like to try this cauliflower rice, please let me know in the comments how it goes. 🙂
If you like to find out about more gluten free products, check out Katz below 😉 Many more yummy delights 🙂