When I’m in the kitchen I often improvise meals. Making food from scratch can lead to delicious meals, but for some creations we do need recipes. When you think of recipes, you might visualize a long formula of complicated procedures that you’d better not even try ;-), right? There are, however, many easy vegan dishes, simple recipes to follow.
Let me share a few here, I’ll cover breakfast, lunch, dessert, and dinner.
For breakfast today I had a quick, improvised meal. Ingredients are few and inexpensive.
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1/4 red onion
- 5 mushrooms
- 1/2 small Saladette tomato
- Vegan shredded cheese of your choice ( I often use Heartbest, Follow Your Heart, and Daiya)
- Herbs: dried parsley and dried celery
- Heat a few table spoons of olive oil in a frying pan
- Chop the onion into small pieces
- Add onions to the pan and fry for 1 minute
- In the meantime, chop mushrooms and add them to the onions
- Heat for two minutes on low heat and add soy sauce
- Add herbs and stir
- Sprinkle vegan cheese on top
- Heat a little longer until onions are glazed, cheese is melted, and mushrooms are browned
Note: salt is not necessary, soy sauce contains a high Umami content which gives a salty flavor. So, you’ll make your recipes more flavorful, using less salt.
For more breakfast ideas, feel free to check the following recipes (each will open in a new window):
And more Veggie Breakfast Ideas
Lunch and Dinner
When I don’t have much time or I’m so hungry I can’t wait another 20 minutes before my meal is done, I usually make a quesadilla which is ready in less than 2 minutes. With quesadillas, you can add your own preferences, such as mushrooms, fresh basil, tomato slices (great combination with veggie cheese), and more.
For a quesadilla, all you need is the following:
- Vegan cheese of your choice
- Whatever you like to add:
- If you want to add mushrooms, then there is a little more prep time involved, since they’ll add more flavor when they’re fried first.
- Heat tortillas on a comal for a minute
- Turn them around and sprinkle shredded cheese or lay a slice of cheese on one side
- Top it off with your choice, mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, or fresh basil
- Fold the tortillas and heat on both sides until they are slightly browned
This is a comal ↓
In the following articles you can find more lunch/dinner recipes:
My favorite part of the meal. I usually eat some chocolate, but I love all kinds of dessert.
And for a nice after dinner drink: Vegan Baileys, very easy to make.
All recipes I shared above are easy to make. The only one that may be a little more elaborate is the triple chocolate cupcake recipe, but the instructions are clear, they are easy to follow, and the end result is worth it. There are also several cookbooks that feature simple recipes, perfect for those busy days when you don’t have much time to cook but still want to eat cruelty-free.