What to do with overripe, brown bananas? Baking would be the usual suggestion, and I’ll be the first to taste that delicious banana bread, no doubt about that. There are also other things you can do before the bananas go bad. Have you ever fried them? And I mean sweet bananas, not plantains.
Before we begin, here are some interesting health facts about overripe bananas.
- An overripe banana is rich in antioxidants
- It has many nutrients
- vitamins B6, C
- carbs (when the banana ripens, the banana’s starch turns into sugar)
- It can help relieve heartburn
- It is good for cardiovascular health
- It is also easier to digest
- It can moderate blood sugar levels
- It may improve kidney health
Fried Bananas in Chocolate Sauce
So, I had four overripe bananas and I was not sure what to do with them. I did not feel like baking, so I made a delicious, sweet breakfast.
- 4 overripe bananas
- fresh jar of coconut butter
- dark chocolate (dairy-free)
- Peel the bananas. You may leave them whole or slice them in half, it’s up to you 😉 .
- Open the jar of coconut butter. Some oily substance should be floating on top. Pour some of that into a frying pan
- Heat the oil
- Add the bananas
- Break off some chocolate from your chocolate bar, break it into smaller pieces and sprinkle it over your bananas.
- Let the chocolate melt while the bananas fry in the oil (on low to medium heat)
- After 4 minutes, turn the bananas over to brown the other side. They will heat nicely in the chocolate sauce.
- When the bananas have browned a little, turn of the heat.
- Arrange the fried bananas on a plate and add a few spoonfuls of the chocolate sauce on top. The sauce may seem a little oily, but not to worry, coconut oil is good for you, it has a whole list of health benefits (it contains healthy fatty acids).
So, here’s another simple recipe. Great for the weekend when you want to surprise a special someone or for any day of the week when you just want to spoil yourself. We all deserve a little treat once in a while. 🙂
What Else can You do With Overripe Bananas?
Ice cream! Who doesn’t love ice cream? And this recipe is so easy to make. All you need is the following:
- sliced, frozen bananas
- flavors (could be strawberries, raspberries, chocolate, peanut butter, whatever flavor you want your ice cream to be)
Making it takes less than five minutes, for more info, see my recipe in this article (an additional delicious and sweet recipe awaits you there as well – lots of mouthwatering treats today 🙂 )
I hope you try out either the fried bananas or the banana ice cream, or both 🙂 It is really delicious, easy on the wallet, and not time-consuming at all. What more could you want from a recipe? 😉 And if you’re having someone over for dinner, these are great desserts as well. You could even add some Drambuie to your fried bananas if you are making a late night dessert.