How about Triple Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes? Combining the rich flavors of chocolate and creamy, nutty coconut to create divine, to-die-for, delicious cupcakes, and the best is that the recipe is pretty easy.
Before we start, I’d like to share a few fun facts about this popular dessert.
Did you know that …?
- Cupcakes have been around since the late 1700’s
- Cupcakes were first mentioned in a recipe notation in 1796 of “a cake to be baked in small cups” written in American Cookery by Amelia Simms
- In the 1700s cupcakes were called number cakes
- Hostess introduced its first snack cake, known as cupcake
- In the 1920s cupcakes were getting hand iced.
- One cupcake is consumed for every adult in the US each day
- In 2009 Gourmet Gift Baskets made the world largest cupcake. It weighted 1224 lbs and it boasted 2 million calories …
Triple Chocolate Coconut Cupcake
Here’s the recipe for much smaller cupcakes and a lot fewer calories than 2 million 😉 This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
Ingredients for chocolate cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Ingredients for chocolate frosting:
- 1 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoon water
Topping over frosting:
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line cupcake pan with parchment cups
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cacao, baking soda, salt, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and sugar. In another bowl, combine oil, coconut water, and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Add vinegar and stir briefly. Quickly spoon batter into cupcake pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick test comes out dry. Allow muffins to cool completely before adding frosting. It’s best to refrigerate them for a couple of hours and then add frosting later.
- To prepare the frosting, combine all frosting ingredients in a large bowl, starting with only one teaspoon of water. With a handheld cake mixer, whip until smooth and creamy, but firm. If mixture is too powdery, add extra teaspoon of water.
- Add frosting to cupcakes once they have fully cooled, using cake decorating kit. Top frosting with coconut flakes and chocolate chips.
This recipe is courtesy of Maria Amore, a friend and an amazing vegan chef who gave me permission to share her cupcake recipe from her book Cooking with Amore. She is passionate about animal rights and about creating delicious, filling, and healthy meals. I have tried many of her creations, such as these cupcakes, chocolate cake, shepherd’s pie, lasagna, key lime pie, mudslide pie, and so on. I love her food! If you’d like to see more of Maria’s mouthwatering recipes, please check out her Facebook page Cooking with Amore.